Yay! The warm weather has arrived, and if the recent Lilac Festival is any indication, Calgarians are ready to burst out and celebrate. For the summer of 2015 there are dozens of festivals and events for every age and interest. Whether you live here or are visiting, check out this roundup of some of the best summer festivals in Calgary.
Calgary Greek Festival
June 19-21, 2015
- Come and enjoy the delicious Greek food, Greek wines and craft beer, and of course Greek dancing.
- Bring your family out to Calgary’s longest running festival.
- EAT, DRINK, DANCE – GREEK!
Sled Island Music Festival
June 24-28, 2015
- The annual Sled Island festival features over 250 bands plus film, comedy and art across 30+ venues in Calgary!
July 3 – 12, 2015
- For ten days each July the whole city joins in the world famous Calgary Stampede.
- Parade, rodeo, midway, music, and food.
- Events throughout the city including numerous free pancake breakfasts with entertainment.
Calgary Folk Music Festival
July 23 – 26, 2015
- The 36th annual Calgary Folk Music Festival at Prince’s Island Park features acts from 16 countries on 8 stages.
- Over 70 artists from around the globe present roots, blues, world music, funk, country, and bluegrass.
Calgary International Blues Festival
July 27 – August 2, 2015
- The 11th annual Calgary Bluesfest has a full week of non-stop music at Shaw Millienium Park followed by nightly Twilight Blues dance parties.
- This family friendly event is renowned for its great music, relaxed atmosphere and warm hospitality!
- Starring Crescent City’s iconic guitar great Walter “Wolfman” Washington; Grammy award-winning giant, Bobby Rush, the pairing of two legends, Amos Garrett & Geoff Muldaur, and many more, the weekend promises to set the town on fire with its world-class, non-stop blues!
August 1, 2015
- A summer festival in the heart of historic Inglewood, with activity for all ages.
- Street performers, music, unique shopping, and food outlets.
August 5-8, 2015
- A week-long celebration of the music, food, dance, theatre, film, literature and visual arts of Africa.
- These events take place at different venues all over the city with a final day of music on Prince’s Island.
Marda Loop Marda Gras Street festival
Sunday, August 9
- A variety of performers, dance groups and musicians; outdoor activities; and a wide variety of delicious cuisine.
- A fun day for kids of all ages.
Opera in the Village
August 13-22, 2015
- Calgary’s East Village RiverWalk Plaza will once again be bursting with music and mirth as Canada’s only outdoor summer opera festival returns for the third annual Opera in the Village!
- The centerpiece of this year’s Opera in the Village is Gilbert & Sullivan’s comedic opera, The Mikado. There will also be family friendly matinee performances of The Scorpions’ Sting. Both will be performed in our 900-seat open-air tent.
August 20 – 29, 2015
- An international fireworks festival and celebration of Calgary’s diverse cultural; with cultural pavilions, ethnic food booths and a night market.
Expo Latino Festival
August 28 – 30, 2015
- Celebrate Latin Culture at Calgary’s hottest outdoor festival experience.
- World-class performers, sizzling dancing, exotic foods, arts and crafts, and more. In the heart of Calgary’s downtown at Prince’s Island Park.
- Sneak Peek on Friday, Aug. 28 *free admission*. Daily passes $25. Weekend passes $35. Special rates for youth and seniors.