As warmer weather approaches Calgarians are ready to burst out and celebrate. For the summer of 2016 there are dozens of festivals and events for every age and interest. Whether you live here or are visiting, check out this roundup of some of the best summer festivals in Calgary.
The 4th Street Lilac Festival
June 5, 2016, 10am to 6pm
- This free one day event is the start up to Calgary’s vibrant festival season.
- Enjoy the unique and pedestrian friendly 4th Street venue, offering an array of musical talent, artisan vendors, quality entertainment and some perfect people watching.
- There are six stages hosting over 30 performances throughout the day, and over 500 vendors that vary from artisan crafts to street food.
Calgary Greek Festival
September 16 – 18
- Greek food and entertainment for the whole family.
- Bring your family out to Calgary’s longest running festival.
- EAT, DRINK, DANCE – GREEK!
Sled Island Music Festival
June 22-26, 2016
- The annual Sled Island festival features over 250 bands plus film, comedy and art across 30+ venues in Calgary!
July 8 – 17, 2016
- At the biggest festival of all, the whole city joins in the world famous Calgary Stampede.
- Parade, rodeo, midway, music, and food.
- Events throughout the city including numerous free pancake breakfasts with entertainment.
Calgary Folk Music Festival
July 21 – 24, 2016
- The 37th annual Calgary Folk Music Festival at Prince’s Island Park features acts from 16 countries on 9 stages.
- The festival includes an interactive family area, international craft market, global culinary delights, a record tent and tree-shaded beer garden.
- Over 70 artists from around the globe present roots, blues, world music, funk, country, and bluegrass.
July 23 & 24, 2016
- Pet-A-Palooza is a FREE family-friendly and pet-friendly festival.
- Bring your pet to sample treats & food. Shop for toys, collars, coats and beds! And best of all get hooked up with FREE SWAG!!
- Join us at Eau Claire to meet over 80 exhibitors, local rescues, listen to live music, check out Running of the Bulls – French and English Bulldog Races! And, you did what with your wiener?! Raced em’! New this year wiener dog races!
Calgary International Blues Festival
July 25 – 31, 2016
- The Calgary Bluesfest takes place at Shaw Millenium Park, offering non-stop mainstage performances, a beer tent and nightly dance parties that run late into the night.
- This family friendly event draws audience members from around the world, who enjoy the grass-roots feel and fun for all.
- Starring Crescent City’s iconic guitar great Walter “Wolfman” Washington; Grammy award-winning giant, Bobby Rush, the pairing of two legends, Amos Garrett & Geoff Muldaur, and many more, the weekend promises to set the town on fire with its world-class, non-stop blues!
- For an up-to-date artist line-up visit the festival website
July 30, 2016
- A summer festival in the heart of historic Inglewood, with activity for all ages.
- Street performers, music, unique shopping, and food outlets.
Expo Latino Festival
August 5 – 7, 2016
- Celebrate Latin Culture at Calgary’s hottest outdoor festival experience.
- World-class performers, sizzling dancing, exotic foods, arts and crafts, and more. In the heart of Calgary’s downtown at Prince’s Island Park.
Afrikadey! World Music Festival
August 10 – 13, 2016
- A week-long celebration of the music, food, dance, theatre, film, literature and visual arts of Africa.
- These events take place at different venues all over the city with a final day of music on Prince’s Island.
Marda Gras Street Festival
Sunday, August 14, 2016
- The streets of Marda Loop will come alive at this 32nd annual New Orleans themed festival.
- Purple, green and gold pageantry; a variety of high quality cultural performers, dance groups and musicians; outdoor activities; and a wide variety of delicious cuisine draws kids of all ages.
Opera in the Village
August 13, 14, 20 & 21
- Calgary’s East Village RiverWalk Plaza will once again be bursting with music and mirth as Canada’s only outdoor summer opera festival returns for the third annual Opera in the Village!
August 18 – 27, 2016
- An international fireworks festival and celebration of Calgary’s diverse cultural; with cultural pavilions, ethnic food booths and a night market.
Illuminasia Lantern & Garden Festival
September 8 – October 16, 2016
- Experience more than 230 authentic Chinese lanterns and authentic Chinese, Japanese and Indian entertainment and programs that spotlight food, art and culture in the Calgary Zoo’s botanical gardens.
For information on even more Calgary festivals, check out www.visitcalgary.com.