Their sign reads “We use only the finest, freshest Lake Erie Yellow Perch”.
At Point Pelee National Park we asked a park warden about local fish from the lake, and she recommended Birdie’s Perch, which is located just outside the park.
Birdie’s Perch is a double decker bus, converted into a “bustaurant”. Motown and Elvis were playing and it looked like a perfect spot to grab a bite on a summer day. There are tables set up outside, and more seating on the top level of the bus.
We ordered their Perch Tacos, featuring Lake Erie Yellow Perch, and they were excellent.
Each taco is made with two corn tortillas filled with chunks of battered perch, topped with fresh salsa, sprouts and a garlicky creamy “birdie sauce”. The batter was light and crispy, the fish fresh and tasty. Overall a delicious fish taco.
Recommended by TouristSite.
- For dessert, next to the bus is Pelee Station ice cream
- Open Daily May to October, 11:00 a.m. – dark
- Location: Just outside Point Pelee National Park, in Leamington, Ontario. Leamington is one hour SE of Windsor, Ontario (or about the same distance from Detroit, Michigan) and about four hours SW of Toronto.
- Link to Birdie’s Perch website.
- Read about Point Pelee National Park.