When warmer weather approaches Calgarians are ready to burst out and celebrate. For the summer of 2020 there are dozens of festivals and events for every age and interest. Whether you live here or are visiting, check out this roundup of some of the best summer festivals in Calgary.
The 4th Street Lilac Festival
June 7, 2020, 10am to 6pm
- This free one day event is the start up to Calgary’s vibrant festival season.
- Enjoy the unique and pedestrian friendly 4th Street venue, offering an array of musical talent, artisan vendors, quality entertainment and some perfect people watching.
- There are six stages hosting over 30 performances throughout the day, and over 500 vendors that vary from artisan crafts to street food.
Sled Island Music Festival
June 24-28, 2020
- The annual Sled Island festival features over 250 bands plus film, comedy and art across 30+ venues in Calgary!
July 3 – 12, 2020
- At the biggest festival of all, the whole city joins in the world famous Calgary Stampede.
- Parade, rodeo, midway, music, and food.
- Events throughout the city including numerous free pancake breakfasts with entertainment.
Calgary Folk Music Festival
July 23 – 26, 2020
- The 4oth annual Calgary Folk Music Festival at Prince’s Island Park features acts from around the globe on multiple stages.
- The festival includes an interactive family area, international craft market, global culinary delights, a record tent and tree-shaded beer garden.
- Over 70 artists present roots, blues, world music, funk, country, and bluegrass.
July 25 & 26, 2020
- Pet-A-Palooza is a FREE family-friendly and pet-friendly festival.
- Bring your pet to sample treats & food. Shop for toys, collars, coats and beds! And best of all get hooked up with FREE SWAG!!
- Join us at Eau Claire to meet over 80 exhibitors, local rescues, listen to live music, check out Running of the Bulls – French and English Bulldog Races! And, you did what with your wiener?! Raced em’! New this year wiener dog races!
Calgary International Blues Festival
July 27 – August 2, 2020
- The Calgary Bluesfest takes place at Shaw Millenium Park, offering non-stop mainstage performances, a beer tent and nightly dance parties that run late into the night.
- This family friendly event draws audience members from around the world, who enjoy the grass-roots feel and fun for all.
- Also check out the Calgary Mid-winter Bluesfest running February 24 – 29, 2020.
- For an up-to-date artist line-up visit the festival website
Calgary Fringe Festival
July 31 – August 8, 2020
- “Anything Goes Theatre”
- Around 30 shows – for a total of over 160 performances over nine days.
- Fringes are uncensored, non-juried theatre festivals, bringing together emerging and established artists alike to tell their stories on stage.
- Check the festival website for up-to-date information.
August 1, 2020
- A feisty summer festival in the heart of Inglewood, with activity for all ages.
- Street performers, music, unique shopping, and food outlets.
Calgary Dragon Boat Festival
August 7-9, 2020
- The Calgary Dragon Boat Race & Festival draws +1850 competitors, +4000 spectators and an abundance of excitement and cultural experiences.
- North Glenmore Park, 7305 Crowchild Trail SW, Calgary
Calgary Japanese Festival “Omatsuri”
August 8, 2020
- “Omatsuri” is the Japanese term for a “traditional festival”. Visitors to the festival will be treated to authentic Japanese customs, presentations of traditional music, dance & song, martial arts demonstrations, and more!
- Price: $3 to $7
- Max Bell Centre, 1001 Barlow Trail SE, Calgary
Marda Gras Street Festival
Sunday, August 9, 2020
- The streets of Marda Loop will come alive at this 35nd annual New Orleans themed festival.
- Purple, green and gold pageantry; a variety of high quality cultural performers, dance groups and musicians; and great food. There is something for each member of the family and best of all it’s FREE to attend!
Opera in the Village
- Calgary Opera is the only opera company in Canada with an annual outdoor summer opera festival. In 2020 Calgary’s East Village RiverWalk Plaza will once again be filled with music as Calgary Opera presents an abridged production of Carmen.
- Check Calgary Opera’s website for updates.
Shakespeare by the Bow
July and August 2020
- Calgary city’s summer Shakespeare tradition in beautiful Prince’s Island Park.
- Celebrate Alberta’s emerging artists. Admission is pay-what-you-will by donation (no ticket required). Bring snacks and a picnic as you enjoy this 90 minute performance.
- Suitable for all ages.
- Check the Theatre Calgary website for updates on this season’s performance.
August 20 – 29, 2020
- An international fireworks festival and celebration of Calgary’s diverse cultural; with cultural pavilions, ethnic food booths and a night market.
The Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF)
September 23 – October 4, 2020
- Watch up to 200 multi-genre feature and short films from Canada and over 40 countries. The festival also hosts gala events, movie screenings in several Calgary theatres, and special presentations to bring out an entertaining and educational 12 days each fall.
- Local Tip: Fans and local filmmakers can get the chance to interact with each other through the Behind the Screen series.
- Calgary’s annual festival where science and engineering meets art and entertainment. Experience large-scale mechanical public art, performances, science-themed culinary creations, hands-on workshops, and more.
For information on even more Calgary festivals, check out www.visitcalgary.com.