Hiking Gear for a Hadrian’s Wall Walk (or almost any walk)
Below is a roundup of most of the gear that we used (or didn’t use) on our Hadrian’s Wall walk.
This was our first long-distance walk, and we learned what worked and didn’t work for us. These are only the items we wore or carried in our daypack, as we used a service to transport our luggage each day of our walk.
The rest of our walking gear:
- Daypack Rain Cover: Essential to keep your pack and contents dry. Our pack came with a waterproof cover as a bonus, but they usually have to be purchased separately.
- Gaiters: These are long or short cuffs that prevent rocks or water getting into the top of your boots, and also protect the bottom of your pants from getting wet. We didn’t use them, but wished we had on one after walking through some tall wet grass. The gaiters were inexpensive, and I’ll take on our next walk.
- Socks: We each bought lightweight merino wool socks, and a heavier pair with more cushioning. The heavier pair turned out to be too hot for the weather, so I would only use those in colder weather. Each day we brought an extra pair in case our feet got wet or sweaty.
- Hat: Essential for sun protection.
- Water resistant pants. I found lightweight water-resistant pants that I wore almost every day.
- Waterproof pants: We didn’t use these as they made us too hot.
- Map, compass, GPS or map on phone: A compass is easy to carry and essential. You can’t rely on your phone, so a map is essential. For us the maps and detailed instructions in the Hadrian’s Wall Path guidebook were all we needed. Most of the time the trail is well signposted, but it’s easy to miss a turn if you aren’t expecting it.
- FirstAid Kit: BandAids, Second Skin or Compeed to treat blisters, gauze, duct tape, needle and thread, antiseptic cream, painkillers, sunscreen, lip balm, scissors, antibacterial hand gel, safety pins.
- Ziplock bags: to keep things organized.
- Portable speaker: completely inessential, but kinda fun.
- Portable flashlight
- Granola bars
Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links to products we recommend, purchased ourselves, and personally used. We may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
You might also be interested in…
https://touristsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/IMG_1355-X3.jpg 1097 1600 Shelley https://touristsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/touristsitelogobig-300x117.png Shelley2016-08-08 03:47:312020-02-14 22:19:34Hadrian’s Wall Walk Tips and Resources
https://touristsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Hadrians-wall-walk.jpg 550 1300 Shelley https://touristsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/touristsitelogobig-300x117.png Shelley2016-08-08 03:41:152020-02-21 00:18:34Hadrian’s Wall Walk – West to East
https://touristsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/gear.jpg 622 2000 Shelley https://touristsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/touristsitelogobig-300x117.png Shelley2016-08-07 22:30:292019-01-22 01:34:01Hiking Gear for a Hadrian’s Wall Walk