When warmer weather approaches Calgarians are ready to burst out and celebrate. For the summer of 2019 there are dozens of festivals and events for every age and interest. Whether you live here or are visiting, check out this roundup of some of the best summer festivals in Calgary.
The 4th Street Lilac Festival
June 2, 2019, 10am to 6pm
- This free one day event is the start up to Calgary’s vibrant festival season.
- Enjoy the unique and pedestrian friendly 4th Street venue, offering an array of musical talent, artisan vendors, quality entertainment and some perfect people watching.
- There are six stages hosting over 30 performances throughout the day, and over 500 vendors that vary from artisan crafts to street food.
Sled Island Music Festival
June 19-23, 2019
- The annual Sled Island festival features over 250 bands plus film, comedy and art across 30+ venues in Calgary!
July 5 – 14, 2019
- At the biggest festival of all, the whole city joins in the world famous Calgary Stampede.
- Parade, rodeo, midway, music, and food.
- Events throughout the city including numerous free pancake breakfasts with entertainment.
Calgary Folk Music Festival
July 25 – 28, 2019
- The 4oth annual Calgary Folk Music Festival at Prince’s Island Park features acts from around the globe on multiple stages.
- The festival includes an interactive family area, international craft market, global culinary delights, a record tent and tree-shaded beer garden.
- Over 70 artists present roots, blues, world music, funk, country, and bluegrass.
July 27 & 28, 2019
- Pet-A-Palooza is a FREE family-friendly and pet-friendly festival.
- Bring your pet to sample treats & food. Shop for toys, collars, coats and beds! And best of all get hooked up with FREE SWAG!!
- Join us at Eau Claire to meet over 80 exhibitors, local rescues, listen to live music, check out Running of the Bulls – French and English Bulldog Races! And, you did what with your wiener?! Raced em’! New this year wiener dog races!
Calgary International Blues Festival
July 29 – August 4, 2019
- The Calgary Bluesfest takes place at Shaw Millenium Park, offering non-stop mainstage performances, a beer tent and nightly dance parties that run late into the night.
- This family friendly event draws audience members from around the world, who enjoy the grass-roots feel and fun for all.
- Also check out the Calgary Mid-winter Bluesfest running February 25 – March 2, 2019.
- For an up-to-date artist line-up visit the festival website
August 3, 2019
- A summer festival in the heart of historic Inglewood, with activity for all ages.
- Street performers, music, unique shopping, and food outlets.
Expo Latino Festival
- Celebrate Latin Culture at Calgary’s hottest outdoor festival experience.
- World-class performers, sizzling dancing, exotic foods, arts and crafts, and more. In the heart of Calgary’s downtown at Prince’s Island Park.
Marda Gras Street Festival
Sunday, August 11, 2019
- The streets of Marda Loop will come alive at this 32nd annual New Orleans themed festival.
- Purple, green and gold pageantry; a variety of high quality cultural performers, dance groups and musicians; outdoor activities; and a wide variety of delicious cuisine draws kids of all ages.
Opera in the Village
- Calgary Opera is the only opera company in Canada with an annual outdoor summer opera festival. In 2019 Calgary’s East Village RiverWalk Plaza will once again be filled with music as Calgary Opera presents an abridged production of Carmen.
August 15 – 24, 2019
- An international fireworks festival and celebration of Calgary’s diverse cultural; with cultural pavilions, ethnic food booths and a night market.
The Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF)
September 18-29, 2019
Watch up to 200 multi-genre feature and short films all over the world. The festival also hosts gala events, movie screenings in several Calgary theatres, and special presentations to bring out an entertaining and educational 12 days each fall.
Local Tip: Fans and local filmmakers can get the chance to interact with each other through the Behind the Screen series.
September 18-22, 2019
- Science and engineering meets art and entertainment, and is on display across Calgary for five days, rain or shine. Experience large-scale mechanical public art, celebrations of space, concerts, performances, science-themed culinary creations, hands-on workshops, bizarre vehicles, and spontaneous acts of technical and digital artworks popping up in unexpected places.
For information on even more Calgary festivals, check out www.visitcalgary.com.